Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chasing the Ice Cream Truck


As a parent, I think we spend too much time making rules for our kids.  I remember vividly, my dad saying, "You're too old for that!"  That is how we seem to be as a nation.  We can't be the Peter Pan character, so we turn into mean old Captain Hook.

Who can make this repulsive trend turn around?  Maybe we all can, with a little help from our inner child.

Let me ask you a couple of questions to get things started. 

1.  When was the last time you went to the playground to swing?  I get to push kids on swings everyday at my job.  I pull them back and let go with a little push and they are off.  That's all I do.  They giggle and laugh and laugh out loud as their tummy makes that uncomfortable, but pleasurable gentle lift.  It cracks them up and for a small time makes all of the school days problems go away.  When I am stressed out I usually get an aspirin or two and flip the TV on to the Drone channel.  Why don't I go to the park and swing?!

2.  When was the last time you had ice cream.  I don't mean the kind you get, made en mass at the grocery, I'm talking about the individually wrapped kind that you can only find waiting for you on the ice cream truck.  You hear the bells and that familiar jingle, and your kids may make a mention of it.  But why don't you chase that truck?  Remember how good that tasted on a hot summer day?  Remember how it made all the hassles go away?

I think it is up to us as parents to reteach our children on this issue.  When I am 80, would I rather sit around and complain about the old days, or  be seen swinging in the park with ice cream running down my arm?  The choice is easy and obvious.  As for me and my family, we will chase the ice cream truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment