Sunday, April 20, 2014

What's wrong with America



Happy Easter BET's!

You will notice that my title doesn't have a question mark at the end of the sentence.  That is because I am not asking the question as much as I am stating one of the myriad of possible answers.  Granted, there are many things that are right about America.  We are blessed in so many ways.  We have many comforts that we take for granted that much of the rest of the world does without...but that doesn't mean we are better or on the right track for any long term success as a country.

One of the areas in which I believe we need work is in our view of what is important and what is not.  My "for instance" today will concern the world of fast food workers.

Over the years, our "better than you" or "I am too good for this" attitude has created a huge problem in my eyes.  As a society, we have created an environment in which we see the work of fast food employees as less than important or essential.  We complain about how the service is lacking or how the quality is low.  My belief is that we have created this attitude over the years by devaluing the role of the minimum wage employee.

If I went to work everyday to a job in which society has led me to believe is below other professions, I don't know if I would have a great fervor for the quality of my output either.  Thirty years ago, people worked in these jobs as a profession.  There was no shame in it.  You went to work and did the best you could because you believed you were providing something of value.  Today, we look at these positions as only a means to an end, or a job anyone can do.  This is not necessarily the case...at least not in my mind.

I hope that somehow, we, as a country, can value these positions again and bring pride back into the mix.  I hope that we can look at these jobs as an opportunity to provide great service and value, and to make this industry blossom again.

I know a lot of you are probably saying, "But wait.  Would you give it your all for minimum wage?"  I get that.  But maybe if we start by looking at the positions as more important and vital to our economy, we will instill some more pride in the people who thanklessly fill these slots.  They are of vital importance to us economically.  If we can do this, maybe we can take that success and take the next step by paying these workers a more livable wage.  I would love to see us become a country again that thrives on quality and rewards those that make that happen.

If this strikes a chord with you, please share this post.  I would love to get a productive dialog going.  But alas, I must head to McDonalds for my $1 Coke Zero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment